I want to share my discoveries.

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Demolition Derby

Last night, I experienced my first county fair.  The fair itself was alright.  It was your typical batch of scam-like games that want you to spend $5 on a chance to maybe win a stuffed banana or an inflatable hammer. The rides are scary in the simple fact that they are rides at a county fair.  I said that hundreds of people had ridden on them because we were there on the second to last night; Ashley said, "yeah, hundreds of people have loosened the screws."  So I didn't ride the Ferris wheel.  But one day I will ride a Ferris wheel.

The real reason i went to the Fair..well there were two, but I missed the pig races.  The real reason i went to the fair was to see the Demolition Derby.  Now I had heard of the derby before and the word demolition gave me a pretty good idea about how it would go, but seriously!  Watching a bunch of old cars that run perfectly enough to buy them for your 16-year-old smack into each other over and over and over again. It was something else.

above are Actual Pictures from last night

Going to the derby taught me two things (I think, maybe more): 1) Cars are a lot more resilient than we give them credit for; 2) if we wore helmets while driving, we would be a lot less likely to get hurt in car crashes.

It was the ultimate bumper cars.  By the end of it most of them looked like accordions.  One was only on three wheels and was still strong enough to bash the front of the last car standing over and over again to gain the win!  Cars were flipped.  There was fire. At one point the front ends of two cars became welded together and they had to move around the track together.  Entire back ends were folded up at a 90 degree angle so that the driver couldn't see out the back window.

Now my father, whether he reads this or not, is probably wondering how I handled going to a demo derby.  He is wondering this, because I have some post-traumatic stress from all of my car accidents and freak out (with screaming and cowering in the corner) when other people are driving me around usually.  For one, I was not in any of the cars.  For two, I would totally drive in a demo derby because the car has been modified for the purposed of wrecking. For three, there were about 40 grown men (and 1 woman) having the time of their lives out there on the track.  Giggling like a bunch of fools.

So that was my demolition derby experience. $10 for 2 hours of smashing entertainment. Well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment