I want to share my discoveries.

Monday, January 24, 2011

Grad school vs Real Job

For the first time in my life, I'm 98.5% almost working a real job (except it's an unpaid internship [great life decisions]).  I feel like what am I doing is close enough to a real job that I can accurately deconstruct and reconstitute (newly learned word) a comparison between Grad School and a Real Job.


First, the pros and cons of each:

Grad School Pros:
  • Learn things that not everyone knows
  • Learn to be have a good argument, or at least make others think it's a good argument
  • Meet people with similar interests (in my case, all Girls)
  • Spend 20+ hours/week with these people
  • Almost never be judged when doing research/homework on your laptop..in a bar possibly at the bar (FREE WIFI)
  • Free access to research databases 
  • student discounts
  • Pajamas allowed
  • Summer vacation (sort of)
  • Financial aid checks
Grad School Cons:
  • Learn things that you will never use
  • Be around people who make better arguments than you
  • Realize that you don't necessarily like all people with your same interests
  • Spend 20+ hours/week with some people you may not like very much
  • Realize that you probably should give up alcohol for Lent, just to make sure you're not an alcoholic.
  • GRE to get in
  • PRAXIS to get out
  • Unpaid internships
  • Unpaid internships for 40 hours/week and homework for 6 credits
  • Undergrads
  • Living with Undergrads
  • Living with Undergrads at a party school
  • Student Loans
Real Job Pros:
  • Theoretically, you get paid (I don't currently, but let's overlook that)
  • People actually think you know what you're talking about (surprisingly, sometimes you do too)
  • No homework
  • Meet people with similar interests
  • Employee Discounts
  • Paid vacation
Real Job Cons:
  • work 40 hours/week EVERY week
  • no summer vacation
  • working with the same people everyday (some of who you may not like)
  • Waking up at god-awful hours in order to look nice
I'm sure there's more.  I'm sure I have friends in Grad School and Real Jobs who could add to the list.

I suppose I didn't reconstitute them.

No comments:

Post a Comment